Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Sacrifice: Forgive



“What does the message of the cross mean to me today?”  


The Spirit of God revealed this to me:  “He sacrificed for you, what will you sacrifice for Him?”

At that moment, I was reminded that one message of the cross is forgiveness of sins.  Christ sacrificed his life so that our sins would be forgiven.  So, the question is:  “What sacrifice will we voluntarily make for him?”

Will I give up my right to be angry and hurt at another person?  Will I forgive the very person I believe harmed me because Christ forgave me?  If I call myself able to live by spiritual principles, I will.  You will too. 

We will make the sacrifice because Christ sacrificed for us. 

Christ’s sacrificial act of laying down his will was quite demeaning.  As I listened to the biblical account of Jesus' journey to the cross, I was reminded that people called him names, threw objects at him AND spat in his face.  Really?  I mean, it is one thing not to like Jesus, but to spit in his face more than once.  That is pure hatred.

And I, little ol’ me, have the audacity to think that my feelings, my pride, my rights are more important than Jesus.  To think that my actions reflect a mind that says, “I deserve to be angry at another child of God.”  I actually don’t think that way, but, if I practice unforgiveness, then that is exactly what is being said.  

Is anyone of us more important than God?    


As we enter into spring and celebrate the newness of the season of life, let us remember to honor the cross too.  We can love God’s children with forgiveness in our hearts, knowing that our actions are pleasing to God.

M

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, thank you for the power of forgiveness. I no longer want to hold myself hostage, fearing my feelings and holding on to the hurt. Today I'm going to face my feelings and forgive because I also want to be forgiven. Give me the courage and strength this day Lord to forgive those who I felt have hurt me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Prayer written by Belinda Dickson-Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts to share? Well, please share...inquiring minds want to know!