Thursday, June 4, 2020

A Lament


Our Current Situation

Current events leave many of us with a mixed, jumbled ball of emotions.  We have had plenty of practice knowing when and how and if we should speak about racial issues.  But times have changed. 

With the murders that have taken place of black men and women since COVID-19 hit, we are forced to speak, act, wait, pray and vote.

My Voice

Although I feel it is important that I say something as a community member, blogger and minister, I first have to say that I don’t want to vocalize my thoughts on this issue.  
Why? 

1.  Because I never thought what I said mattered; and

2. What will change?

As a recipient of racist taunting and teasing as a child, and a decision to stop pledging allegiance to the U.S. flag as a teenager, I have long been convinced of the evil and wickedness in this country.

Yet, I feel the spirit of a former professor, Dr. Donna Allen, compelling me to speak. 

I have not liked living on American soil since I was a child.  I have wanted to live oversees, in Africa specifically, for a long, long time.  When the current man took office, I really wanted to leave.  My love for my adult children and grandchildren keep me here.

In the meantime, all I know to do is pray, vote, trust God, and pray some more. 

Do I think things will change?  No. 

Then why pray, you might ask. 

Because it is the one place where I can say what I mean and know that I am heard.  Where else can I run to?

Disappointment

We all have been disappointed because God didn’t answer our prayers as we wanted.  I am certainly no exception. 

But I do know that there is no other source of strength and hope that exists.  None. 

Hoping for some thing or person to make life bearable or tolerable is a lie.  I don’t live there anymore.  But I do believe that God can and will give me the strength to endure today’s trials, tribulations and temptations.

Ps. 42:11 - Why, my soul, are you downcast?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and my God.

There is a comfort for all our woes and concerns and that is found in God.

Acknowledging God as my Savior means I know God will quiet my worries and struggles about these protests, US leadership and much more. 

A remedy will come forth, but only when God allows it.

Putting my hope in God means I believe there is a God who will protect me and you in trouble and tribulation.


God, who is also manifested through family and friends, is all I have to comfort me.  God is more than enough.  And, my friend, I hope you will ask God to comfort you too.

Be blessed,
Minister Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts to share? Well, please share...inquiring minds want to know!