Sunday, March 4, 2018

Black Panther: One Addict’s Ray of Hope


As you can probably imagine, I just viewed the movie Black Panther.  There are a number of adjectives to describe the powerful impact this movie had on my psychological and spiritual identities.  However, this reflection will only focus on one subject...gently dealing with self and others. 

The themes of love, patriotism, family, forgiveness, hatred and power are just a few that resonate in the movie’s portrayal of a black comic strip icon called the Black Panther.  Since I never read the comic books, the movie certainly prompts me to give them a glance.


However, there was one particular scene in the movie that stood out for me.  Allow me to set up the context of my mind and the movie’s scene.

Having recently gone over a sixth step with my sponsor, I am keenly aware of my character defects.  If you are reading this and are not familiar with the recovery movement, let me say this:  all 12-step programs encourage the recovering person to look at who they are, as best they can, and move to a higher level of self-awareness and accountability to God, self and mankind.  (That’s the easiest, shortest way to explain it.)

The sixth step is a difficult step for any recovering person to complete.  The recovering person gets to look at the ugliest characteristics of their personhood.  Without revealing my own traits, I will say this step leaves you feeling humble, humiliated and very AWARE of who you are in a negative light. 

This morning, I pondered the thought that no matter how much I want/wanted to do the right thing with my life and for others involved in my life, I still made mistakes.  Absolutely, no one, and I do mean, no one, is perfect.  Even the Bible underscores this fact by stating, “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  (Romans 3:23-27)

Then I remembered an intimate moment on the phone with one of my adult children.  This particular adult broke down in tears when I carefully explained that their behavior in one particular work incident was unacceptable.  This child’s response was, “I just want to be perfect.”


But as the movie reminded me today, “No [wo]man is perfect.”  The lead character of the movie was feeling dismayed, angry and disappointed about a huge mistake his father had made.  In an effort to calm the character’s anger, his friend/lover responded, “No man is perfect.”

The truth is, we all make mistakes.  Whether intentional or not, our mistakes, regardless of their motives, cause the world to deal with the consequences of our actions. 

But we all make mistakes.  We can be angry at ourselves and others for these mistakes, but that doesn’t change the fact that they happened.  So, with enough time and energy, it is important to love on ourselves in spite of who we are – when ugly or pretty.  Be gentle to yourself.  And while you are at it, be gentle with others.  No man is perfect.

Just as the movie reminded me today, though, I have a choice.  We all have a choice. 

We can either live in the regret and remorse of the mistake, ignore the wrong or do our best to make things better.

Doing my sixth step left me feeling bad about many things.  Yet, I silently resolved to do my best to be a better person in the days and weeks ahead.  The movie, thank God, afforded me the opportunity that when I try to do the right thing for the right reasons, things may not go smoothly, but they will get better…for a lot of people.

So, my words of encouragement today are this:  be real about who you are and what you have done.  Work diligently to be the better person you desire to be.  If you have to clean up your own mess or someone else’s, do so with grace, diligence and a heart of compassion towards yourself and others.

In this way, we can make the world a better place.

Be blessed,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts to share? Well, please share...inquiring minds want to know!