Friday, July 10, 2015

Do you want to be Well?

Author: bbbar


Saying something and doing something are two different things.

Wellness is a hot topic nowadays.  It implies a person’s existence in completely in sync with one’s self.  Mind, body, soul and, for some people, spirit.  Generally, being in synch with one’s self is something desired, but do you, or I, have the right attitude towards achieving this state of being?

The question arises from a passage of scripture found in Psalm 77:2.  The author admits that he was praying and speaking with God, but his soul “refused to be comforted.” 

What an interesting observation.  It reminded me of the question Jesus asked the man at the pool of Bethesda, “Do you want to be well?”    

Wellness is more than saying we want it.
Wellness is more than believing we can achieve it.
Wellness is something we DO. 

We consciously decide to get better and move towards better in thought, deed and actions.  We make a decision to not harm ourselves.  And, then we do something to confirm that decision.  We sit through tough feelings and resist the temptation to touch an idol (cigarettes, credit card or slot machine) to wax numb human feelings.

Do we really want to be well?

Every time a shopaholic, drug addict/alcoholic or gambler stops their behavior, there is a great deal of courage that goes into their inaction.  Yes, sometimes not doing anything is the most powerful, courageous act of the day.

Sitting still in the murky mess of jumbled feelings and sick lurching stomach movements is difficult.  Resisting the cyclical thought to GO shop, GO eat, smoke or gamble is an honorable, brave act. 

And the people who are successful are telling themselves and others, “I am finished hurting myself.” 

They surrender.  They know acting out in this same dysfunctional behavior is going to lead to the same dumb, stupid results and we just don’t want those results anymore.  We want new results.

And we make new decisions to stay well each day.  Sometimes one minute at a time but we make the decision consciously, courageously and publicly.  Hats off to you!

What are the barriers to wellness?

Barrier to Wellness #1:  Refusing to be comforted is the equivalent of being unwilling to accept responsibility.  If you read the first three verses of the biblical passage, you will notice that the psalmist is consumed with their own self.

I….
I…
I…

I cried out to God with my voice—
To God with my voice;
And He gave ear to me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;

My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing;
My soul refused to be comforted.
I remembered God, and was troubled;
I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah

Selah means repeat.  So twice, the psalmist says…

“God.  Can you hear me?  Can you hear me? I am crying, I am crying.  I am in trouble.  I am in trouble.  I am stretching my hand to you.  I am stretching my hand to you.  All the time I am stretching my hands to you.  All the time I am stretching my hands to you.  I remember you and feel trouble.  I remember you and feel trouble.  I am complaining.  I am complaining.  I am overwhelmed.  I am overwhelmed.”

He is certainly consumed with how he feels.

The psalmist is also so engrossed in his emotions, he notices that he is unwilling to be comforted. 

He is unwilling to be soothed. 

This reminds me of an infant that can’t talk and just cries, and cries and cries.  Eventually, the infant’s caregiver says, “What’s wrong?  Tell me what is wrong?”  But the infant cannot respond in words.

Barrier to Wellness #2:  Bad attitude.

All of these words point to a bad attitude.  In other words, he has made up his mind about how he is going to deal with this situation at this point.  “I don’t feel good, I don’t like what is happening, I am stuck right here and even though I am talking to God, I, I, I…!”

(Gulp)

Time for an attitude checkup.  Do you want to be well?

Barrier to Wellness #3:  Complete focus on the situation – the trouble.  Yes, when trouble strikes, it can hit hard.  Loved one with cancer – trouble.  Child with failing grades – trouble.  Marriage on the rocks – trouble.  The psalmist is focused on the situation and the emotions springing from the trouble.  How can he get well?

This post is part 1 of 3.  Please take some time to reflect on your attitude towards wellness.  In fact, are you aware of any other barriers to wellness?  If so, post them in the comments section.  I would love to hear from you!

Be blessed,


M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts to share? Well, please share...inquiring minds want to know!