Monday, March 9, 2015


The Haves and Have Nots
Learning to be Content to Manage Depression
Philippians 4:11-13

Being unfamiliar with the television show bearing the same title, I courageously decided to title this post.  The main idea of the post is how is it possible for some people that suffer from chronic depression to feel sad and others don’t during the winter months?  The answer I suggest is spiritual in nature – not biological.

Shorter days and colder nights can be a great sources of strain for people.  Combine the external environment with regularly scheduled bill payments, daily parenting responsibilities, employment and other tasks and it is clear how difficult it is for some to maintain peace in the midst of life’s storms.

In fact, anxiety and fear are the normal states of existence for many people with a mental health condition.

Yet, I have peace today.  Unlike any other winter prior, I have joy and a sense of happiness that is permeating and coursing through my body, mind and soul.  However, I am keenly aware of those who have not this sense of peace.

What I can say about depression is it is a tricky disease.  One day a person feels great and one week later, their entire bottom has fallen out and there is no sense of stability inside the mind, body or soul.

Certainly, I do believe a person’s external environment contributes to their sense of emotional stability.  I recently moved and immensely enjoy my new home.  However, a friend of mine recently lost his primary source of income.  He doesn’t feel so happy these days. 

The internal environment is often connected to what happens outside the body.  However, I am a bit convinced my internal happiness is not based on my external circumstances.  Maybe I am in denial.  Or, maybe I am in a state of complete acceptance about the material possessions I lack and their overall importance to 1) meeting my basic human needs and 2) affirming my worth in the world. 

Maybe this is what the Apostle Paul meant when he said, “I have learned to be content, no matter what state I am in.”  (Philippians 4:11-13)

Content in the Greek means to be satisfied; without discontent or dissatisfaction in the soul.  So, Paul learned (and wrote about it) and I have learned and now write that learning to be content is a process that occurs uniquely for each person.

And, if truly learned, it is possible contentment is a prerequisite for happiness.  Kind of like one pillar in the foundation.  Alongside it are the building blocks of acceptance, gratitude and faith.  A keen sense that trusting God for the things we cannot see to be in place when necessary, helps us gratefully accept our current situation and rest in the Maker’s arms.

I have peace today.  And I pray for those that have not.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts to share? Well, please share...inquiring minds want to know!