Saturday, July 12, 2014

Thank You, Lord: A Place in God's House


            One of my favorite Gospel songs is sung by Fred Hammond, Thank You, Lord.  This song has been resonating in my spirit for about three weeks now.  I have to say, “I am so grateful and thankful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”

            Often, when people speak of being thankful, it can be felt by the speaker.  I’m not sure if I can deliver that atmosphere in a blog post, but I just felt so compelled to write. 

The catalyst for my gratitude is I just left a worship experience and faith community that is welcoming, affirming and loving towards people managing their mental health.

            This “outside the box” God that I serve loves me so much that I was lead to read a small newspaper publication announcing a “café conversation” about anxiety.  What started as a curious compelling to partake of the conversation eventually turned into a wonderful worship experience, manna from heaven and a few more people in my support system.

            The shared life experiences of us gathered in the café, combined with a willingness to be transparent, confirmed what I suspected for quite some time – God loves the mentally ill too and makes provision for them in the church.

            If only my African-American faith community could be so open and affirming.  My hope is that one day they will.  But until then, I will focus on being a part of the solution and helping them understand the necessity of their support for people just like me.

            Granted, there are many things I could vocalize complaints.  But, on the eve of my 49th birthday, I have so much to be thankful for, I prefer to praise God.

            Thanking him for being a partaker of his grace, life, health and strength.  For being there for me and his love being available even when I was going down.  God has been on my side, even when it didn’t seem like it.  My God was surely there.

            Maybe you feel the same way.  Maybe you don’t.  But remember, God’s grace, love and blessing are available to all willing to receive – mental illness or not.  So, join me, if you will, in thanking the Lord.

Be blessed,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts to share? Well, please share...inquiring minds want to know!